The History of Fleet United Bowling Club
At the beginning of the 1920s, a group of bowlers in Fleet used to play on the lawn at Glebe House (the vicarage), at 31 Church Road, Fleet. This is now houses – Glebe Court. After some time had elapsed, they borrowed some money from the Church Institute Building Fund to lay a proper, but small, green of three rinks. They were then known as All Saints Bowling Club.
In 1928/29, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners sold the house and grounds just as the loan had been paid off. This left the club unrecompensed and without a green for the 1929 season. All fixtures had to beplayed away. During 1929, the members of the now extinct All Saints Bowling Club faced this crisis by banding together. They raised money by making loans themselves and thought what better name for the new club than Fleet United Bowling Club?
They bought the present site in Crookham Road, Fleet and had the green laid and ready for play by 1930. After World War Two, a temporary Nissan hut was built on the adjacent side of the green, to which was added another strip of land. Several years later the Nissan hut was replaced by a wonderful cedar wood pavilion with main drainage. Electricity mains followed later.
In 1990, the club celebrated its Diamond Jubilee (1930 – 1990) and a commemorative lapel badge was struck, along with a small pin badge of a swan. The swan is central to the club badge and these small mementos are sought after by members of other clubs, even to this day. The club badge reflects the fact that Fleet is surrounded by woodlands and acknowledges the importance of Fleet Pond to the town as a nature haven along with its resident swans. The badge was re-designed for the 1990 celebrations. The red rose is that of Hampshire.
By 1993 time and the weather had taken it’s toll on the wonderful old cedar wood pavilion and it was decided that a new Clubhouse was needed. With the dedication and hard work of the club members together with loans and a few grants the dream of a new clubhouse was realised and was formally opened by the Chairman of Hart District Council, Mr. Peter Shoesmith, on Saturday, 24th July, 1995.